The role of the Council is to provide support to the Office in its role to drive and coordinate the Government’s not-for-profit sector reform agenda.
The Council will provide advice to the Government on not-for-profit issues, including:
- examining the scope of a national ‘one-stop shop’ regulator for the sector including its role, feasibility and structure;
- streamlining Commonwealth Government tendering and contracting processes for government funded not-for-profit organisations, including the development of a common form contract; and
- harmonisation of fundraising and other Commonwealth, state and territory laws.
The Council will also provide advice on the Productivity Commission’s report into the not-for-profit sector and other related reviews. The Council will also support the implementation of the National Compact: working together.
Membership of the Council will be determined by the Minister for Social Inclusion.
The Council will comprise of up to twelve members and will be led by a Chair and Deputy Chair.
Membership will be reviewed annually, to provide a balance of continuing members with new members.
Members will be reimbursed costs for economy travel, accommodation and incidentals to attend the meetings. Sitting fees will not apply.
The Council will meet up to four times per year face-to-face. Additional meetings will be conducted via phone conference.
The Council will work closely with the Office for the Not-for-Profit Sector. The Council may convene working groups as necessary to consider particular issues in depth and report back to the full Council. These sub-groups may consult external experts in the field to inform their deliberations.
Secretariat will be provided by the Office for the Not-for-Profit Sector.
Our Resource centre for CEO Advisory services includes:
- The Australian Institute of Company Director’s submission to the Productivity Commission on the Not for Profit Sector
- Presentation from Linda Lavarch, Chair Not–For – Profit – Sector Reform Council, at the NFP forum of the Australian Institute of Company Directors